There are four elements that summarise the current focus of our Planet pillar:
1. Climate change impact
- understand the risks and opportunities for our business that will arise as a result of climate change; and
- report on those risks and opportunities regularly and transparently so that all our stakeholders can have confidence that we are safeguarding their interests over the long term.
2. Greenhouse gas emissions
- measure and report on our direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions;
- set science-based targets for our Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions and take measures to meet those targets;
- support our OEM partners in their efforts to reduce emissions and actively promote the sale of vehicles with lower emissions; and
- influence our other suppliers to reduce their carbon footprints, incorporate environmental considerations in our decision-making processes and favour suppliers that set ambitious targets themselves.
3. Waste and recycling
- deal responsibly with the waste we produce as a business. As a minimum we will comply with all applicable laws and regulations; and
- progressively increase the amount of waste products we recycle to reduce our impact on the planet over time.
4. Helping our own people achieve their carbon reduction goals
- show our people the ways in which they can contribute to reducing their impact upon the planet in both their working lives and their personal lives; and
- ensure our leadership teams will model those behaviours.
Our current focus areas
Scope 1 & 2 emissions
Scope 1 and 2 emissions remain the key focus of the Planet pillar and workstream and where we can make the biggest contribution to our global stated target of a 46% reduction in emissions by 2030 (in line with 1.5°C). Inchcape Australia and New Zealand have made commitments to reduce our impact on the planet. These include, but are not limited to, a commitment to switching all power purchased by our business to either renewable or fully offset by the end of 2022. We are also currently working through our portfolio of properties to identify opportunities to upgrade building services and/or to install solar panels.
Scope 3 emissions
During 2022, we aim to develop an understanding of our Scope 3 emissions, both upstream and downstream and are focusing on measuring, and improving, the proportion of waste recycled.